Friday, May 23, 2008

Not now...


We are currently having a much needed thunderstorm. I say much needed because of how dry everything is. If you have been paying attention to the news, or you live in this area, you know that we are battling fires off and on again this year. The one concern with a thunderstorm is the lightning that comes with it. Sometimes this can actually create more fires, which defeats the purpose of the rain we are getting with the storm. So, I hope that the rain helps soak up the ground but that the lightning is forgiving and does not leave behind any new fires.

Savannah and I always have the same discussion whenever it starts to rain. Being four, she does not understand the importance of having rain every once and a while. To her, it is just an annoyance that takes away her outside time. So, the discussion always goes something like this:

Savannah: Why does it rain?
Me: Because God wants it to.
Savannah: Why?
Me: Because that is how the trees, grass, flowers (etc) get fed. The rain gives them water.

And it becomes a very circular conversation from there as anyone who is used to talking with a child in this age group can understand. So, later today (after already having this conversation at least once) she was sitting at the table working very hard on a picture that she was making for Daniel (yes, her crush from the gym, but that is a different story :) ) and it started to thunder. Now, along with her curiosity with storms, she also has developed a fear of thunder. She wants us to close the blinds whenever it starts. So, I was amazed she didn't say anything about it. However, after the second roll of thunder, she looks up from her work and says "not now God, I'm trying to concentrate." I just looked at her for a second, trying to process what she said, and then tried not to laugh. I still have to chuckle a bit because I think that it is a pretty cool connection she is making there, however, it also makes me stop to think. How often do we do the same thing? How often do we say, "not now God" when we really should be going to Him, not pushing Him away?

1 comment:

Meme said...

It's a good thing that she doesn't do what our dog does when there is any hint of a storm. She hides behind our couch or sits on our lap (she weighs about 40 pounds!). Sounds like she resembles Aunt Sarah and Meme!!!
The thing that I don't understand is the presence of tornadoes. I don't think that God sends them, but I think their presence is part of how he created the earth with its own system to provide rain for our living things. When I view the news and see their hugeness, it astounds me.