Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Christian Parade




Monday was the Christian Parade at UCP. All of the children are asked to come dressed up as a Biblical character. Jesus (aka Paul, a member of the church) walks down the hallway of the school and all of the children line up behind him waving palm branches saying Hosanna. He leads them outside and they walk along the fire lane while all the parents watch (and take lots of pictures). It is a lot of fun for the children. Savannah wanted to be Mary and carry baby Jesus. Last year, she ended up leading the parade (running out in front of Jesus). This year she followed along and enjoyed seeing all of the parents. Brian, Grammy and Papa were all there to watch her and I was fortunate that my class was lined up directly behind hers so I got to watch her too.
The big dilema she is dealing with right now is that there are some kids in her class that are not being very nice to her. Well, I think it is to a lot of the kids. They keep saying to her and others that they don't want to play with her and that they are not her friends. I was really upset at first because I thought it was just her, but I actually saw these girls doing this to some of the other kids, so I know that is not true. Anyway, I am trying to boost her self-esteem and have told her to find someone else to play with. I know that this is just part of life, but I am struggling with what I should tell her. Anyone have any ideas on what to say to her?

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I think I might talk with her about how she feels when they tell her they don't want to play with her (if she brings it up); otherwise, I think I'd focus on how she can interact with other kids instead, and what are good ways to talk to people. Nothing hugely structured, but more a running dialogue.

The Maddron's said...

Hi Cindy!

Nice to see you guys on blogspot. It's a great way to see beautiful pictures of Savannah.

We had a similar problem with Grace last year in Pre-K. Ms. Linda handled it very well. When she heard kids saying that she's always emphasize that it's OK if you don't want to play but we need to always treat everyone with kindness. That's what Jesus wants us to do.
We'd tell Grace that it's ok. To go and play with other kids. She would be hurt - very hurt but it seemed to pass rather quickly. Then...... CAME KINDERGARTEN!!!!! Still, we always tell Grace that she has to be everyone's friend - that is her special assignment for loving Jesus but not everyone will do that, but it's ok.

It's soooo hard. It hurts the parents worse.

Meme said...

I remember that Sarah had to deal with this kind of "childish" conversation. I don't remember that boys did a lot of it, so I don't remember it with Brian too much. I would tell Sarah to say, "You know, it's not very nice to say that. I will still be your friend even if you don't want to be mine. " I'd also tell her to find someone else to play with. I also can remember having to deal with this kind of talk when teaching first grade. It's just a child's way of saying , I don't want to play with you . Sometimes it's because the "mean" child isn't getting their way! Hope that this helps. I absolutely love your blog!!! I check it EVERY day and enjoy hearing and seeing all of it. I even used it to finish my poem for you!

Anonymous said...

Great Aunt Judy said...
Cindy,
Usually when children say things like this at this age they have heard it somewhere else. It is best to let her know that it hurts her feelings when people say things like that but there will always be people who say things that you don't like.

Tell Savannah to tell the children that "It's ok if you don't want to play with me right now - I will play with you another day!" And then she should find a friend that she can enjoy and not take it to heart.

Even grownups don't always want to be around everyone all the time - it is ok and she should go on with her fun for the day.

Savannah, I really enjoyed playing with you at your Meme's house and helping you to fix your doll's foot. I will always be your friend, no matter what!!!